So for the final DIY of our Pearl and Earl Halloween Papier Mache / Decoupage series we (and by that I mean my kids) decided to create something a little different! You can decoupage your Papier Mache Halloween Cat in much the same way as the Halloween Bat Tutorial. However to show you something a little different, I gave this one a metallic bling! You could (as a short cut) just paint your creature with some metallic paint – but we think this has such a great effect and it is really quick and easy.
To create this metallic project I simply replaced the glossy MOD PODGE with someMOD PODGE SHIMMER GOLD which was sent to me to test from the lovely folk at Hobby Craft. For the paper – I used a simple grey tissue paper – so it ends up with a 2 tone silver/gold look.
There are plenty of decoupage methods – but as regular readers are aware, I am a fan of the quick wonders of Mod Podge. An all in one glue and glaze it takes the stress out of decoupage and you can apply and finish your crafty project super quickly – as drying time is only 15 minutes.
For the Cat you will need:
- Mod Podge Gold
- Glue Brush
- 2 sheets of grey tissue paper
- First cut up your tissue paper into mini strips – approx 2x3cm long.
- You will probably not need both full sheets – but it is better to have more than less
- Using your brush and modpodge – working from the top of the cats ears – glue your strips into place
- Coat each with a layer of mod podge and then overlap the next piece, working down the cat until covered
Let it dry for 15-20 minutes and you may want to apply another thin coat as a final varnish.
The cat is now ready to celebrate!
Design copyright – J Pearce and daughters! 2012 All rights reserved